Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

14:13

This book is so beautiful!
Rating: 5/5

Wow. Just Wow. I have had this book sitting on my shelf for years now and have always had some excuse why I haven’t picked it up, completely ignoring all the fantastic reviews of the shadow hunter universe. I know there is some particular order you are supposed to read the mortal instruments and the infernal devices books but I decided I will read this Infernal Devices trilogy first (because a trilogy is always less daunting, than doing the correct order which is 9 books combined). I am sure once I am done I will pick up the mortal instruments immediately.

I read this book in 2 days, and every second that I wasn’t reading it I was off in dream land thinking about this book.

In this first book of the series, we are introduced to Tessa Gray. A girl from New York, who moves to England after her Aunt dies, to be with her brother, Nathaniel. When she arrives she discovers her brother is missing, and she is taken captive by the Dark Sisters. The Dark Sisters belive there is a power within Tessa and routinely test her to try to make it surface. Slowly but surely Tessa’s ability surfaces, and she discovers she is able to shape shift into anyone if  she has a personal artefact of theirs. A handsome and witty young man named William Herondale comes to save her from the Dark Sisters, and Tessa is thrown into the world of the Shadowhunters.

This is the very first Cassandra Clare book I have ever read and it was insane. I was a little apprehensive about reading a third person narrative, because I pretty much read exclusively first person narrative, because I thought I can understand the characters more, as you can get into their heads, but Cassandra Clare did everything right here.

The characters were all so vibrant and life-like. I wasn’t expecting to care about each one of them as much as I do already (even Jessie), and I am only one book in!

I was also a little nervous about reading a book set in 1800’s London. I usually stay away from Historical (even Historical Fantasy) with a 10 foot pole, because I always worry I will have a hard time relating, and understanding their language but boy oh boy was I wrong.

I was laughing out loud and so much of the snarky dialogue coming from Will or Tessa. Before I read this I heard Will Herondale was everyone and their mother’s favourite book boyfriend, and honestly now I see why. He is snarky, and sarcastic and sceptical, but also mysterious and has such a huge passion for books, just like Tessa. And Jem!! Jem is such a sweetheart; I was grinning from ear to ear with the bits about Church <3 Jem is the opposite of Will in every way, from appearance to manner. I honestly loved them both so much!

I finished this last night, and I immediately read 100 pages of Clockwork Prince, so that will be my next review!


I know I am super late to jump on the bandwagon here, but if there is anyone else like me, who had procrastinated picking this series up, do it now! I can promise you that you won’t regret it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow Me On Twitter