Review: The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

21:06



Rating: 4/5

This book was fantastic!
Here is the Goodreads description (which does a much better job explaining the book than I can)

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart

This book was fast paced and had me gripped from page 1. It was action packed with loads of people with kick ass abilities (I'm a sucker for superpowers). This book did have plenty of YA troupes, but I wasn't really bothered by it because it was so entertaining.
I would have loved a little more world building, and I was hoping for a little more romance throughout but I am guessing these are both things we can expect from Glass Sword, the sequel. This is book one in what I believe is a four book series.
I liked the character of Mare, she was tough but also had plenty of flaws and was believable.

*WARNING SPOILERS BELOW*

I was a little disappointed with Maven's character, because throughout most of the book I really liked him! Not sure what to expect from Glass Sword but you can bet I am going to get my hands on it as soon as I can.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hey Gabby!
    This book was fantastic! I agree with you on the fact that there was way too little romance but the whole story around Mare is exciting and gripping (like you said) and tbh Mare and Cal are an awfully beautiful couple, despise their little problem I don't want to mention. Let's just forget it's even there, shall we? XD
    Love,
    Nadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to pick up Glass Sword ASAP! I'm just having a dilemma where the only published editions I can find are tall paperbacks, much bigger than my edition of Red Queen, and I have this weird thing where I want my books from the same series to match :) But I am interested how the relationship between Cal and Mare develops - because I was team Maven the whole way through (well.. almost ;) )

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Follow Me On Twitter