Book buying obsession!

01:29

Ever since I discovered the world of book blogging and booktube about 2 years ago, my savings account has dropped and my book collection had grown from about 15 to 250 books. Yikes. That's a lot of books.

This past weekend I moved houses, which meant moving aaaall those books, and that was certainly a daunting task. A few weeks before I knew I was moving I cataloged all my books into a google spreadsheet, a snippet of it is shown below

My organisational system for cataloging my books

But prior to moving I stared at my shelves, and I could definitely see more than a couple of books I knew I didn't want to keep. Giving away books is hard, I imagine it is similar to the feeling of giving up your first born child (I kid... I think). But I was utterly ruthless going through my shelves. My plan was to get rid of the following types of books:

  1. Books I have previously read, and know I will never read again.
  2. Second books in a series I am not super excited about, where I do not own the first book. 
  3. Books that I do not know the premise of/am not interested in.
I used to live about 2 minutes from the city branch of my town's library, and they had book sales every few months. Really great sales where hardbacks would only cost 20 cents. So I would eagerly mark these sales into my diary and then go along and buy any book that is even remotely interesting looking. This has resulted in me collecting a lot of books where I knew I would never read. So these ex-library books were some of the first to go. 
 
I managed to get rid of about 50-60 books total, which are pictured below. Don't get me wrong, I love some of these books, but I just don't have room for them all. One of my new years resolutions was to buy less books, and so far this year I have only bought 3 (for me, that is a miracle). Do any of you have book buying problems? And what is one book you could never get rid of?


Some of the books that didn't make it to my new home

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow Me On Twitter